Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer





SPOKANE, Washington – The NCAA Div. I Gonzaga University Bulldogs used a first half goal and a late penalty kick to defeat the visiting Trinity Western University Spartans 2-0 in men's soccer action Saturday afternoon at Luger Field in Spokane, Washington. 

The Bulldogs would have the better opportunities finishing with 11 shots and six corner kicks to the Spartans five shots and zero corner kicks; however the possession and control of the play was equal throughout the match, with TWU unable to find the finishing attempt.

"A little disappointed in one respect, but encouraged in others. Our corporate defending was quite a bit better this game and we were so close on many opportunities, but we could not get any linking passes to get us any comfort in the attacking zone," commented TWU head coach Pat Rohla. "We have lots to work on, but things are improving. Bodies are getting healthier and we are getting fitter, all are pieces of the puzzle as we move forward."

"Considering that we are on regulated minutes with a number of our players, and against a team like Gonzaga with our whole team playing, the play was good and the result may have been different with our "A" team playing the full match. But it was good to get everybody minutes in pressure situations. Disappointed with score line, but encouraged as we move forward." 

Gonzaga opened the scoring in the 39th minute when Conner Bevans took a deep cross from Ben Striar and struck the ball home from about 10 yards out. The remaining five minutes of the have would be scoreless as TWU entered the break trailing 1-0. 

The second half was well played by both squads, with each having dangerous runs into the opponents end. The Bulldogs got the insurance goal after a foul in the box by the Spartans on a Gonzaga counter attack. TWU keeper Andrew Hicks made a valiant effort diving to his right and got a piece of the ball, but not enough to stop Zach Hamer's shot from going inside the post to give Gonzaga the 2-0 lead with two minutes remaining in the match. 

The goal keeping duties for the Spartans was split between Evan Lowther, who played the first 45 minutes and gave up one goal, and Andrew Hicks, who played the second 45 minutes and gave up one goal while making four saves. Gonzaga's backstopping duties were split between Chris Lowrimore, who started and played 61 minutes, and Ben Willis who finished off the final 29 minutes of the match. Each Bulldog keeper made one save in the match. 

Next up for the Spartans is at Seattle Pacific on August 28. Match time is set for 2 p.m. PST. 

Trinity Western opens Canada West conference play on Friday, September 5 when they will host the Fraser Valley Cascades. 

Match Notes: TWU had 20 players see game action, while Gonzaga had 17 players…game time temperature was 28c…the Bulldogs had two off-side calls…