Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer






PRINCE GEORGE, British Columbia – UNBC rookie forward Brandon Wallace scored a hat trick to pace the Timberwolves to a 5-3 win over the visiting Trinity Western Spartans Saturday afternoon at  the North Cariboo Senior Soccer League fields in Prince George, B.C. . The Timberwolves improve to 2-7 while the Spartans fall to 3-3-1.

"Very disappointing after being down two goals and coming back to tie the game. We started well moving the ball and keeping possession, but then we stopped playing and they took advantage of us on the counter attack," commented TWU head coach Pat Rohla. "We have the resolve to win, but we have to put it together on the field. We have to do things better." 

The start of the game was a scramble, both teams pushed strong on the attack in order to see who would set the tone for the game. In the fifth minute it appeared it was going to be the Spartans. A cross into the box set up Dominic Reinold (Wesseling, Germany) who finished with a one touch volley into the back of the Timberwolves net. Only five minutes in and the Spartans had already commanded a 1-0 lead over the home side. 

The Timberwolves caught their first break in the 22nd minute. Right back Josh McAvoy (Abbotsford, B.C.) carried the ball up field and passed it into Tofa Fakunle who relayed the ball into the box and over to Wallace. Wallace found the back of the net for his first of three, tying the game at one a piece. The same duo would strike again just over 10 minutes later. Wallace, who was playing the offside line, was set free by Fakunle and able to beat his defender. The Spartans keeper got out and was able to get a touch on the ball but it wasn't enough to stop it from going in the net.

A final chance by the Spartans before the break put the fans on edge. A shot from Reinold was deflected by UNBC keeper Ty Vehola (Abbotsford, B.C.) but the Spartans were unable to capitalize on the free ball due to an offside call, saving the Timberwolves from a potentially very dangerous situation. At the break the Timberwolves held on to their 2-1 lead.

The second half was more back and forth between the teams. Brett Bobier (Prince George) started off the scoring when he knocked a ball out of the air when the Spartans' back line was switching it back, a few clean touches put Bobier into space and he used his speed to beat the defender and send a long ball low and into the back of the net. The Timberwolves celebration and 3-1 lead did not last long. One minute later the Spartans came down the field and a shot by Kalem Scott (Comox, BC) deflected off a UNBC player, resulting in an own goal.

Trailing by one the Spartans pressured the Timberwolves working the ball through the midfield while trying to get into an attacking position. A second half substitution proved beneficial for the Spartans when Jarvis Ambaka (Maragoli, Kenya) headed a corner kick from Brayden Gant (Maple Ridge, B.C.) tight to the left post and into the net. Tied 3-3 in the 59th minute, neither team was ready to give up. Keeping pace with the first half of the game both teams played aggressively on offence looking for a chance to gain the upper hand. A Trinity Western corner kick in the 70th minute looked promising but was snagged out of the air by Venhola. Three minutes later the Timberwolves took their chance and it paid off. Amedee Cimana (Prince George) took the ball down to the left side of the box and chipped it in front of the net to Wallace who knocked it into the back of the net for his third goal of the game and a 4-3 lead for the Timberwolves.

The Timberwolves would score one more before the end of the game. A ball from Wallace in the 76th minute gave Fakunle room to play in front of the net. The second year forward beat the keeper and snuck the ball past the covering defender to put UNBC ahead 5-3.

UNBC's Ty Venhola made four saves to earn the win, while TWU's Evan Lowther made seven saves in the loss.

The Timberwolves recorded 15 shots, 12 on goal, while the Spartans put up 14 shots and seven on goal.

Both teams return to the North Cariboo Senior Soccer League fields tomorrow afternoon for a rematch and the Timberwolves final home game of the season. The game is set to kick off at 2:30 p.m. and can be viewed live at