KELOWNA, B.C. – Trinity Western third-year midfielder Jacob Low (Port Moody, B.C.) scored a 65th-minute marker to help the Spartans men's soccer team to a 1-1 draw with UBC Okanagan in TWU's season-opener Monday.
Trailing by a goal, Low connected on a left-to-right cross from Josh Hardy (Burnaby, B.C.), volleying his offering home from six yards out.
Despite the Spartans holding a 6-1 edge in shots on the goal, the Langley, B.C.-side solved UBCO keeper Nicholas Reitsma just once. TWU also had a 14-5 advantage in total shots.
The Heat's Corbin Beauchemin opened the scoring in the 55th minute.
The first half provided very little in terms of scoring chances as the Heat didn't record a shot on target while the Spartans had just two.
It wasn't until the 56th minute that the Heat got their first shot on goal but they made it count. Off a corner, the ball dropped to second-year midfielder Corbin Beauchemin 10 yards out and he made no mistake firing it into the bottom left corner. Fifth-year defender Shaun Pilcher picked up the assist after connecting first on Nikhil Redyy's ccorner.
Monday's contest had been postponed from Saturday due to smoke from the forest fires in B.C.
TWU Head Coach Mike Shearon
"We're obviously disappointed with the result. I'm glad we could come back after being down 1-0, but we probably should have gotten a little bit more out of the game considering the way we played. But credit to UBCO for their hard work defensively. It's an okay start and to put a positive spin on it, we earned one more point (in Kelowna) than we did last year. We need to continue to refine our attacking movements and take our chances. Dom Poletto (Calgary) played well today and worked hard and Jacob Low had a good goal and Joel (Waterman) was good and the back line was good as well."
• The Spartans were also scheduled to play Thompson Rivers this past weekend, but that game was also postponed and will be rescheduled later in the season.
• UBC Okanagan and TWU split their season series last year, with the Spartans winning 2-1 at home before falling 1-0 in Kelowna.
• The third-year Low scored four goals last year, including two game-winners.
• TWU played just two preseason contests this year, beating Westmont College 3-2 before dropping a 2-1 decision against Seattle Pacific University.
• The Spartans earned a Canada West silver medal last year, after posting an 8-4-4 regular season record.
The Spartans return to Langley, B.C. for their home-opener Friday against Victoria at Chase Office Field. Kickoff is at 7:15 p.m. (PT). The game will be streamed live at www.canadawest.tv.