Written by Jessica Bailey
LANGLEY, B.C. – The No. 2-ranked Trinity Western men’s volleyball team (17-1) will look to reclaim its top ranking this weekend, as the Spartans travel to Calgary (10-8) to play the Dinos Friday and Saturday at the Jack Simpson Gymnasium.
Friday, Feb. 2 vs. Calgary (10-8) – 6:30 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Feb. 3 vs. Calgary (10-8) – 4:30 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• With playoffs in sight, the Spartans are hoping to extend their 13-match winning streak, against a Dinos side that is hoping to guarantee itself a spot in playoffs.
• After a bye weekend, TWU dropped to No. 2 in the U SPORTS Top 10 for the first time since Feb. 21, 2017.
• The Spartans are one win away from clinching home-court advantage for the Canada West quarter-finals.
• Calgary is hoping to end its four-game losing streak after back-to-back losses against the University of Alberta and Thompson Rivers University.
• Calgary has a 7-1 record at home compared to 3-7 on the road.
• Eric Loeppky (Steinbach, Man.) remains atop the Canada West leaderboard in kills per set, with an average of 4.15. Loeppky is also leading the conference with a .371 hitting percentage.
• Dinos middle blocker Liam Laidlaw (Calgary, Alta.) is leading the league in blocks per set with an average of 1.34.
• TWU’s Pearson Eshenko (Banff, Alta.) is second in the conference with 1.21 blocks per set.
• Alex Bader (3.16) and Tim Taylor (2.82) lead the Dinos in kills per set.
HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2016-17
vs. Calgary (2-0)
Nov. 4, 2016 – TWU 3 Calgary 2 (Langley)
Nov. 5, 2016 – TWU 3 Calgary 0 (Langley)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (17-1)
U SPORTS Ranking: No. 2
Canada West Standings: 1st
Last Weekend: Bye
Streak: 12 wins
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-W-W
CALGARY DINOS (10-8)
U SPORTS Ranking: No.10
Canada West Standing: 6th
Last Weekend: Thompson Rivers (3-1 L), (3-1 L)
Streak: 4 Losses
Regular Season Form: W-L-L-L-L