LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western University's No. 2-ranked men's volleyball team will host No. 9 Thompson Rivers University Wolfpack in a best-of-three Canada West semifinal series this weekend, starting Thursday at the Langley Events Centre. After ending UBC's season this past weekend with a quarter-final series win, TWU will be in tough once again hosting a TRU squad that upset then No. 5-ranked Alberta in the Canada West quarter-finals.
Game 1 | Thursday, Feb. 28 vs. Thompson Rivers – 9 p.m. (PT)
Game 2 | Friday, Mar. 1 vs. Thompson Rivers – 9 p.m. (PT)
Game 3 | Saturday, Mar. 2 vs. Thompson Rivers – 8:30 p.m. (PT) (if necessary)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans are coming off a quarter-final victory against Canada West rival UBC, which saw the series go to a decisive Game 3 before TWU won with a three-set victory.
• Thompson Rivers, who finished sixth in CW with an 11-11 record played underdog beating Alberta on back-to-back nights to earn the series sweep.
• The last time TWU and TRU met was in regular season play, with TWU sweeping Thompson Rivers in mid-January, winning both matches in three sets.
• Trinity Western's Eric Loeppky (Steinbach, MB) and Jacob Kern (Edmonton) were recently named Canada West First Team All-Stars, while Brodie Hofer (Langley) was named to the Canada West All-Rookie Team.
• The WolfPack's Tim Dobbert was also named a Canada West First Team All-Star.
• TRU will look for some post-season revenge, as the Spartans ended their season last year when TWU earned a series sweep in the quarter-finals. TWU won both matches in four sets.
• This weekend's series will mark the fifth time TWU and TRU have met in a Canada West playoff series in the last 11 years.
• TWU is 7-2 all-time in the post-season against the WolfPack, with the Spartans winning the last three series.
• In their first-ever playoff meeting, the WolfPack beat TWU in a three-match CW quarter-final series in 2009.
• The Spartans are 33-6 all-time against TRU.
• TWU has won 23 straight matches against the WolfPack, including the regular season and playoffs.
• TWU is on a quest for its fourth straight Canada West title.
SPARTANS HEAD TO HEAD IN 2018-19
vs. Thompson Rivers (2-0)
Jan. 18 – TWU 3 TRU 0
Jan. 19 – TWU 3 TRU 0
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS
U SPORTS ranking: No. 2
Canada West Standings: 2nd
Last Weekend: UBC (3-0 W, 3-2 L, 3-0 W)
Streak: 1 Win
Playoff Record: 2-1
THOMPSON RIVERS WOLFPACK
U SPORTS ranking: No. 9
Canada West Standings: 6th
Last Weekend: Alberta (3-1 W, 3-2 W)
Streak: 2 Wins
Playoff Record: 2-0