WINNIPEG (U SPORTS) – Trinity Western's dreams of national championship were dashed Friday afternoon, as the Montreal Carabins defeated the Canada West champion Spartans 5-0 at the U SPORTS Women's Soccer Championship Saturday afternoon at the Subway Soccer South Complex in Winnipeg, Man.
Championship Schedule & Results
Livestream – USPORTS.LIVE
Two days after beating Manitoba in the quarter-finals, the Spartans gave up a season-high five goals to end TWU's title hopes. The Spartans will play Western for bronze Sunday at 10:30 a.m. (PT).
Montreal scored three goals in the first half and then added two more in the second half to roll to a decisive win.
The Carabins opened the scoring in the 11th minute when forward Catherine Proulx flicked a quick pass to Emmanuelle Alcindor in front of the 18-yard box, who shot the ball past Spartans keeper Christina Oliverio (Calgary).
Seventeen minutes later, Alcindor scored her second when she made a run to the net weaving through the Spartans defense and Oliverio, making it 2-0 for the Carabins.
The Carabins continued their dominance in the 35th minute, as midfielder Karine Lafontaine took a corner kick and placed the ball in the box where Melissa Proulx finished the play with a header to go up 3-0.
Momentum continued for the Carabins in the second half with a quick goal by Romy Longpre in the 47th minute. Shortly after, Catherine Proulx scored the fifth goal of the game for the Carabins in the 55th minute, capping off the 5-0 win.
The Carabins will move on to play Cape Breton for gold on Sunday at 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT.
TWU Head Coach Graham Roxburgh
"We were caught being a little bit flat out of the gate. I thought we had a little bit of momentum before it went 1-0. Before you know it, you're down two and then right before half you could see the third goal killed the game to be honest. I feel for my kids – they had a great season."
Montreal Head Coach Kevin McConnell
"I think our strategy every game is to start well, and we did start well, just like we did on Thursday. I think (Alcindor) was clear in mind, and she was much closer to her best than she was on Thursday. She showed us what she's capable of."
• In 11 trips to the U SPORTS championship tournament, which includes winning five national titles, Sunday's contest will mark the first time the Spartans have ever played in the U SPORTS bronze medal match.
• The last time TWU played a team from Quebec also resulted in a 5-0 loss, when the Spartans fell to Laval in the 2015 national championship final.
• TWU had only allowed three goals in their previous 15 games.
• Saturday's semifinal contest with Montreal will mark the fourth time the two teams have played in the national championship tournament.
• Saturday's game saw Montreal beat the Spartans for the first time in four tries. TWU earned wins against the Carabins in each of their three previous meetings at the national championship tournament, winning in 2004, 2009 and 2013.
• The 2009 and 2013 wins were both in the national championship final. The 2004 win was in the preliminary round.
• The Spartans are 22-8-1 all-time in what is now their 11th national championship appearance.