Written by Jarrett Fontaine
LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western’s men’s and women’s track and field teams compete in Seattle this weekend, as they participate in the prestigious Husky Classic as well as the UW Indoor Open. The weekend competitions mark the last official meets before the Canada West Championships.
Friday, Feb. 9 – Husky Classic (Seattle) – 4 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Feb. 10 – Husky Classic (Seattle) – 9 a.m. (PT)
Sunday, Feb. 11 – UW Open (Seattle) – 9 a.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
MEN’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Last weekend at the Cougar Indoor, Maxime Léveillé (Shefford, Que) set the Spartan pole vault record with a mark of 4.90m. The previous record of 4.85m was held by teammate Nathan Dunford (Bellingham, Wash.).
• In the triple jump last weekend at the Cougar Indoor, Denzel Brown (Port Coquitlam, B.C.), who will compete in the Husky Classic, earned a TWU record-setting mark of 14.79m. The previous record of 14.44m was held by Brown’s former teammate Aaron Postma. With the jump Brown earned U SPORTS qualification.
• On the track, Nick Colyn (Langley) and Caleb de Jong (Winnipeg) will lead the middle distance crew, as both are set to compete in the mile and the 3000m in the Husky Classic.
• Declan White (South Surrey, B.C.) is schedule to make his season debut in the mile at the Husky Classic.
• Pole vaulters Léveillé (3rd – 4.90m), David Boyd (Victoria) (4th – 4.75m), and Nathan Dunford (Bellingham, Wash.) (4th – 4.75m) all sit among the top 5 in the Canada West rankings. All three, along with Giovanni Hernandez (Tepic, Mexico), will compete in the Husky Classic.
• The UW Open will provide a last-chance opportunity for a number of Spartans to earn spots on TWU’s travelling team for the Canada West championships, which are Feb. 23-24 in Winnipeg.
WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD
• On the track, Regan Yee (South Hazelton, B.C.), who set the Spartans 3000m record the last time TWU competed in Seattle, will run in the mile in the Husky Classic and the 1000m in the UW Indoor Open. Yee’s time of 8:58.29 has her atop the U SPORTS rankings.
• Mirelle Martens (Grande Prairie, Alta.) and Joanna Williams (Campbell River, B.C.) will compete in the 3000m in the Husky Classic. Martens, who ran 5:01.12 in the mile two weeks ago in Seattle, is entered in the mile and the 3000m in the Open, while Campbell is also in the 3000m in the Open.
• Madison Evans (Calgary), who cleared a personal best 3.90m earlier this year, will compete in pole vault in the Husky Classic, while Rachel Jerome, who has a season’s best 5.53m, will compete in long jump.
• Like the men’s side, the UW Open will provide a last-chance opportunity for a number of Spartans to earn spots on TWU’s travelling team for the Canada West championships, which are Feb. 23-24 in Winnipeg.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST YEAR’S HUSKY CLASSIC AND UW INDOOR OPEN
• Former Spartan Aaron Postma set the then-school triple jump record with a mark of 14.21m
• Spartan alumnus Nathan George set the school record in the 600m with a time of 1:18.68.
• Trinity Western's Regan Yee (South Hazelton, B.C.) moved to the top of the U SPORTS individual rankings in the 3000m, as she posted a time of 9:07.59.
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS
U SPORTS Ranking: NR
Canada West Ranking: 5th
U SPORTS Ranking: 11th
Canada West Ranking: 5th