LANGLEY, B.C. – Trinity Western's No. 1-ranked women's volleyball team (16-0) look to continue its undefeated season this weekend when they host the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds (11-7) Friday and Saturday at the Langley Events Centre.
Friday, Jan. 25 vs. UBC – 6p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Jan. 26 vs. UBC – 5 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• The Spartans are aiming for a piece of history this weekend, as they are one win shy of setting the program's all-time record for consecutive regular season wins.
• Combined with wins in TWU's last two regular season games of 2017-18, the Spartans enter the weekend winners of 18 consecutive regular season matches.
• The last time TWU won 18 matches in a row from 2014 to 2016 when the Spartans finished the 2014-15 regular season with five wins in a row, before opening the 2015-16 campaign with 13 straight victories. The 18-match win streak was snapped on Jan. 9, 2016 in a five-setter against Alberta.
• The Spartans are 16-0 on this season and hold a record of 25-0 including pre-season
• TWU will look to turn the tables on UBC, as the Spartans fell to the T-Birds in last years season series (3-2 L, 3-1 L)
• TWU Teammate Mikaelyn Sych (Airdrie, Alta) leads the league in hitting percentage (.394) and blocks per set (1.54)
• Langley's own Brie Kings enters the weekend sitting second in all of Canada West with 9.54 assists per set
• UBC outside hitter Kiera Van Ryk (Surrey, B.C.) enters the weekend leading Canada West in kills per set (4.54), kills (309) and service aces per set (0.78)
• After only losing twice in there last 10 games, the Thunderbirds will look to improve their five-game winning streak.
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2017-2018
vs. UBC (0-2)
Feb. 9 – UBC 3 TWU 2 (Langley)
Feb. 10 –UBC 3 TWU 1 (Vancouver)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (16-0)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 1
Canada West Standings: 1st
Last Weekend: Thompson Rivers (3-1 W, 3-0 W)
Streak: 16 Wins
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-W-W
UBC THUNDERBIRDS (11-7)
U SPORTS ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 4th
Last Weekend: UBCO (3-0 W, 3-0 W)
Streak: 3 Wins
Regular Season Form: W-L-W-W-W