LANGLEY, B.C. – Coming off back-to-back matches against the UBC Thunderbirds, in what was only the Spartans first two losses of the season, the No. 3-ranked Trinity Western women's volleyball team will look to bounce back on the road against the Mount Royal Cougars.
Friday, Feb 1 vs. MRU – 5 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Feb 2 vs. MRU – 4 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
• Despite last weekend's setbacks against UBC, the Spartans continue to lead Canada West with a 16-2 record.
• Including preseason, Trinity Western is now 25-2 on the season
• TWU suffered there first loss of the campaign last weekend to a UBC side who has won five straight and 10 of their last 12 and is now ranked No. 9 in the U SPORTS Top 10.
• MRU is riding a two-game winning streak and is looking to improve on its 9-9 record as the Cougars push to secure a playoff spot.
• Including the regular season and playoffs, TWU is 14-0 all-time against Mount Royal.
• The Spartans Mikaelyn Sych (Airdrie, Alta.) leads Canada West in blocks, with 1.49 per set and is second in Canada West in hitting percentage (.377).
• TWU's Avery Heppell (Langley) is fourth in CW in aces (0.55 per set) and fifth in blocks (1.08 per set).
• Setter Brie King (O'Reilly, Langley) is fourth in CW with 9.13 assists per set.
• Cougars middle Nicky Zalasky (Bragg Creek, Alta.) sits second in Canada West in blocks per set (1.24)
• MRU's Nataliia Klimenova (Severodonetsk, Ukraine) sits fifth in Canada West for digs per set (3.80)
• Last time TWU traveled to MRU was in Dec. 2-3, 2016, when the Spartans earned the weekend sweep (3-1 and 3-0).
SPARTANS HEAD-TO-HEAD IN 2017-2018
vs. MRU (2-0)
Nov 17 – TWU 3 MRU 0
Nov 18 – TWU 3 MRU 0
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (16-2)
U SPORTS ranking: No. 3
Canada West Standings: 1st
Last Weekend: UBC (3-1 L, 3-0 L)
Streak: 2 losses
Regular Season Form: W-W-W-L-L
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (9-9)
U SPORTS ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 7th
Last Weekend: MacEwan (3-1 W, 3-1 W)
Streak: 2 Wins
Regular Season Form: L-L-L-W-W