QUEBEC CITY – Trinity Western's women's cross country team won its fourth straight Canada West championship and finished third overall at the U Sports national championship Saturday on the Plains of Abraham.
The Spartans put two athletes in the top five overall as Lisa Brooking (Orillia, Ont.) was fourth and Regan Yee (South Hazelton, B.C.) was fifth. Brooking crossed the line in 21:23.8 over the six kilometre race, while Yee finished in 21:30.0.
TWU's women's team has now finished in the top three in each of the last three years, after finishing second in U Sports in the previous two years.
After the Spartans leading duo, TWU's Meg Harradine (Langley) capped her university cross country career with a 27th place finish overall in 22:59.0, while Mirelle Martens (Grande Prairie, Alta.), who finished 29th in 23:00.2, and Joanna Williams (Campbell River, B.C.), who was 38th in 23:13.2, rounded out the team's top five.
Mikaela Smart (Maple Ridge, B.C.) was 47th overall in 23:34.9 and Hannah Ryan (Seven Sisters Falls, Man.) was 52nd in 23:48.2.
With their results, Brooking and Yee are both U Sports First Team All-Canadians and Canada West First Team All-Stars. Harradine, Martens and Williams are Canada West Second Team All-Stars.
Coach Mark Bomba was named the Canada West Coach of the Year.
TWU SPARTANS RESULTS
4th – Lisa Brooking – 21:23.8
5th – Regan Yee – 21:30.0
27th – Meg Harradine – 22:59.0
29th – Mirelle Martens – 23:00.2
38th – Joanna Williams – 23:13.2
47th – Mikaela Smart – 23:34.9
52nd – Hannah Ryan – 23:48.2
CANADA WEST WOMEN'S CROSS COUNTRY TEAM RESULTS
CW Finish / Points / U Sports Overall Finish
1. Trinity Western / 102 / 3rd
2. Alberta / 222 / 6th
3. Victoria / 246 / 9th
4. Calgary / 263 / 11th
5. Manitoba / 352 / 12th
6. Saskatchewan / 440 / 17th
7. MacEwan / 472 / 19th
CANADA WEST WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL RESULTS – ALL-STARS
CW Finish / University / Time / U Sports Overall Finish
1. Emma Cook-Clarke / University of Calgary / 21:15.0 / 2nd
2. Lisa Brooking / Trinity Western University / 21:22.8 / 4th
3. Regan Yee / Trinity Western University / 21:29.2 / 5th
4. Melissa Jones / University of Calgary / 22:25.8 / 14th
5. Morgan Lawley / University of Alberta / 22:31.1 / 15th
6. Hannah Leggatt / MacEwan University / 22:44.9 / 24th
7. Chloe Hegland / University of Victoria / 22:55.2 / 28th
8. Meg Harradine / Trinity Western University / 22:58.4 / 29th
9. Mirelle Martens / Trinity Western University / 22:59.2 / 30th
10. Shayna Uhryn / University of Saskatchewan / 23:00.8 / 33rd
11. Rachel Francois / University of Victoria / 23:11.7 / 39th
12. Joanna Williams / Trinity Western University / 23:12.2 / 41st
13. Brooke Mentanko / University of Saskatchewan / 23:27.3 / 47th
14. Nicole Soderberg / University of Alberta / 23:32.7 / 50th